Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Unfortunate Ability

Today, I just have a thought that I want to share with you. It is a thought that I woke up with this morning and I feel the need to share. Many of us struggle with an unfortunate ability and even tendency to settle.

We had big dreams, big initiate goals, big hopes for our future, big vision - plans to end up in a certain kind of house, career, relationship, church etc. but as life has kept going and we didn't see what we envisioned come to pass, somewhere along the way, we have reasoned in our minds (or perhaps, we have entertained the enemy reasoning with us) and have become convinced that what we once saw, will not be. Therein, we have become complacent and comfortable with the idea of settling for less than our vision.

To settle is to accept less than. In financial terms it has to do with compromising in a way where you tend to accept less than what you were owed in order to make sure you walk away with something rather than nothing. But, I believe deep within yourself, there is a part of you that cries out to God saying, Lord, I want everything you have for me! I believe there is a remnant of people who exist who would say, I want God's perfect will for my life. I'm lonely right now, but I would rather wait on the person God has for me than find myself, once again, trying to make something happen and settling for less than God's plan for my life. Don't let anyone tell you that is selfish. If God has given you a vision of your future, that is your movie preview and you need to use that as a baseline and guidelines for what/who you will accept and give a chance and what/who you should just let keep walking past your life! Settling can cause the plan of God to be interrupted in your life!

We've all done it before. We've been living in an apartment for 8 months and we know it's time to have our own house. We make our God-inspired list of our "have to haves" - what we know we need in a house - Lord, I need 2 bedrooms, an attached garage, air conditioning and a safe neighborhood, I'll be flexible about everything else, but I need that - then, 4 more months pass by and an opportunity finally presents itself that has 1 bedroom, a detached garage and a box fan in the window, but it is in a safe neighborhood... It is at that point where we must decide, will I wait on my vision or will I settle! Once we grow tired of waiting, many of us change our "have to have" lists midstream. We even have this interesting ability to focus in on the 1 thing that's right, instead of the 3 things that are wrong. Well, I know it's missing a bedroom, the garage is detached and there's no air conditioning, but it sure is a great neighborhood; I would hate to miss out on this neighborhood. So, we settle... and then become angry with God every time we're reminded of what we don't have. Well God... I had company come over today, where are they supposed to sleep - I only have one bedroom... Lord, it's raining and I have to walk from this garage to this house, I told you I wanted an attached garage. Lord, it's HOT in here; I'm so tired of living like this. We actually get frustrated with God for decisions we have made. He never told you to settle; in fact, He showed you a vision of what you need.

You can change the example to anything - I've been in an uncomfortable spot for quite a while now and I know God wants me to move into a better position. Make the God-inspired list of the "have to haves" - determine what you need and what you can be flexible with and then wait on the Lord. There's the part where it gets challenging - how long are you willing to wait? What if He doesn't deliver in your time expectations. Will you keep on waiting or will you settle? Will you wait on your vision or will you settle?

Yes, there are some things you should be willing to compromise on, if it's something that was only produced from your thoughts, your mind and God didn't really have anything to do with it... but, if God has a plan for your life, don't compromise, don't waiver and don't settle. Don't miss the full extent of what God has for you by settling because of impatience and discomfort! They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength! (Isaiah 40:31).  

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on my way to work one morning, and I feel like everything in that moment just stood still and God begin to show me where he sees me, where he wants me to be, and He was like PURSUE this. GO after this, like I’m giving you a glimpse of the PLAN that I have for your life. Instantly, I felt intimidated by the vision, and I was like okay God are you serious? I thought the dreams that I had for my life was pretty big, but I’m learning that big doesn’t always equate to better, and its God were talking about! So when you said…”will I wait on the vision or will I settle?” It took me back to that morning. If there is anything worth waiting for it’s a God given vision to come to pass. I want to be in that remnant of people that said I waited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting fifteen years for a teaching job. I've always been pretty certain that the Lord wanted me to teach - I've been doing it naturally since I taught my little sisters to read at the age of nine, and one way or another I've been teaching ever since - just can't seem to get a permanent position that would pay my rent. Before I went to college for teaching, though, it was a career in art that I was pursuing. I went to art college. painting is a natural talent that brings me great joy - everything else falls away when I am painting. Eventually I had to leave art college because I couldn't afford to buy art supplies and pay my rent.
    Before THAT - throughout everything, I have always been a writer. I've kept journals since I was old enough to write. I write every day, and in all my free time. I have two novels half finished. These are my three main talents - callings? And I can't figure out how to do any one of them and still pay my rent. Or all of them? I pray and I study my Bible and I wait. my teaching degree was expensive. Right now I'm at a factory working. And waiting. Living from check to check. I'm on my own and I have two children to take care of. Why did God tell me to teach and then not give me a teaching job? I wonder often what I'm doing wrong, or if it's just a matter of wandering the wilderness another 15 or 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anita - hold on to the vision - let your faith bring the vision from the heavenly realm to the reality realm! PURSUE THIS! If the vision wasn't intimidating, He wouldn't have needed to push you to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @MsWholigan - Teaching, art (painting), writing - sounds like you have a plethora of talent. It also sounds like you're doing the right thing to pray and read your bible and wait - and, it sounds like you're waiting while working on each, so that's good too.

    The thought that came to me when reading your post is that sometimes we have to create our outlets from scratch. Keep waiting (but, in the sense of a waitor/waitress - God, what can I do for you? God, how can I use this talent for your Kingdom). God telling you to teach may or may not have had anything to do with a teaching job; maybe, it's more of a vocational call than a teaching job. I'm reminded of Matthew 20.

    My encouragement for you is this - be not weary in well doing, in due season you will reap if you faint not. Keep using those multiple talents for the Kingdom - He'll keep making a way! The use of your gifts in your waiting period has the potential to usher you into opportunity! Be encouraged, don't settle and keep the faith! Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete